Sunday, April 19, 2015

Name Game

Along with being pregnant and creating a human, is naming that said human.  I didn't really have a hard time naming Charlotte.  I always loved the name, and threw a few other names in the hat for Andy, but I knew it would be it.  Just had to tell him at the right time.  The middle name was easy, Victoria.  Clearly my first name, then my mom, grandmother's and great grandmother's middle name.  Done. 


Baby number 2, I'm struggling a bit.  One, because I really never thought I'd have two girls.  I honestly thought I would be an all boy mom, and the girl would be a one of.  I've got a boy name, but not another girl name.  We even called baby 2 the boy name for quite some time. 

I'm slightly blaming my indecisiveness on being a middle child.  Growing up, I learned really quick not to have an opinion or get my hopes up for things happening the way I wanted them to.  It rarely happened, and normally if I expressed an opinion, it would result in an atomic wedgie.  I basically just stopped really caring about mundane things.  Andy usually gets upset with me that I can't make a decision.  Mostly, I just really don't care that much.  I just roll with the punches.  I just became adaptable to making everyone else happy, and learned to find what would make me happy in the situation.  When I do express and opinion, I usually really believe it in it.  Enough to express it.  If I didn't think all aspects through, and the end result being not desirable, usually ended in ripped undies.
 
 Growing up 80s

 I will torture you into submission, and it starts, right now.

The littlest one still couldn't walk

The hardest part about naming someone, is you have to think of all aspects of their lives.  You don't want them to be lost in a sea of the most popular name, or getting the crap beat out of them for a unique name.  Yet, you want them to stand out a bit.  You have to think about them as teens, and adults as well.  What name will hold up professionally? What about nicknames? If you hate a nickname, it really could pop up.  I hated my name growing up, I honestly could not comprehend why my mom didn't name me Stephanie or Samantha (Full House and American Girl Doll).  I went by Vicky for quite a long time.  Now, I love my name.  I love how it's strong, ultra feminine and classic. 

This time I'm really trying to let Andy have a say in the name, but it's so hard because or taste are polar opposites.  Here is some of the names that are on both of our short lists.  (Not saying whose who)

Kate
Emilia
Sophie
Molly

What do you like? We gotta figure this out! I've got some monogram-ing to do!

1 comment: